On Wednesday 03 December 2008 12:22:19 Eddy Nigg wrote:
> On 12/02/2008 08:16 PM, Ian G:
> > Right, CAs won't have the private keys, unless they do. I imagine a
> > corporate CA can do what it likes, and doesn't need the consent of the
> > user.
>
> Sure, but they aren't in my list of CA roots.
>
> > And if my CA says "we
> > got your private keys", then you have the choice of another CA.
>
> It's considered a very bad practice I think.

Eddy, could you expand on this point?

I don't think WebTrust prohibits CAs from generating/retaining private keys
for users.

> Are there any CAs in Mozilla NSS which have the users private keys?

Have a look at:
http://www.globalsign.com/support/csr/autocsr.html

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

Comodo CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
  3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
  Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by replying
to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to this email may be
monitored by Comodo for operational or business reasons. Whilst every
endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from viruses, no liability
can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use their own virus checking
software.