Ian G wrote re creating new root certificates annually for CAs issuing qualified certificates:
It is most likely in the regulations that are created by the regulating agency; that is the way these things work. I think that is the telecommunications regulator. Likely, these things are not translated into English. (The simplification of "law" is often meant to include these things.)

I suspect you are right about this. (I couldn't find anything about this practice in EU documents I found.)

If you really wanted to do see it, the thing to do would be to ask for the specific regulations, and get them translated.

That's a good idea, I'll do that. I'd like to get a definitive answer on this question, since I know I've seen this practice with other CAs, including I think at least one not in Germany.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org