On 12/28/2008 01:13 PM, Kai Engert:

The current Mozilla CA Certificate Policy says:
"6. We require that all CAs whose certificates are distributed with our
software products: ... provide attestation of their conformance to the
stated verification requirements ..."

Kai, just to counter Ian's reply:

The objective of the Mozilla CA policy is to provide sound, reliable and in this context reasonable security for its users.

This is anchored clearly in the Mozilla Manifesto as a principal and further described and defined in the Mozilla CA Policy what PKI and CAs concerns. The Mozilla CA Policy is clear in its requirements, *intend* and what it is meant to achieve. All the rest is just throwing sand into ones eyes.

In this respect section 7 of said policy clearly states what the requirements are. CAs may find different ways to achieve and conform to those requirements, however it should not lead to a compromise of those requirements. Personally I wouldn't outsource domain control validation but incorporate it into the general process of certificate issuance. In case it is delegated, the third party must provide attestation of their conformance. I think this is what you were proposing...

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: start...@startcom.org
Blog:   https://blog.startcom.org