At 3:09 PM +0100 1/5/09, Ian G wrote:
>The recent MD5 collision attack has also demonstrated a "brittle" side of OCSP
>[1]:
>
>http://blogs.technet.com/swi/archive/2008/12/30/information-regarding-md5-collisions-problem.aspx
>
>It seems that, assuming we can create an intermediate or subroot certificate,
>then we can also redirect the OCSP to a place of our choosing, because a
>certificate refers to its own OCSP [2].
>
>Hence, once we rogue-players have created a certificate like this, the CA
>cannot revoke it using its own control mechanisms.  Which implies OCSP is
>mostly good for revoking "good certs," being the ones the CA itself issues,
>and is less good at dealing with externally-controlled or rogue issues.

I am not convinced the article is correct. If it is correct, it is a serious
but easily-fixed bug in IE. That is, if a trust anchor contains a AIA that
points to an OCSP responder, and the rogue sub-CA has an AIA that points to a
different OCSP responder, the validation process should should check the OCSP
of the trust anchor.

>What is also curious is Microsoft's response:  It seems to be recommending
>that OCSP be configured using local proxy responders.  Look for the words
>"custom OCSP" in the above link.

The article specifically makes that recommendation for corporate PKI
deployments only, not for general web access.