Gervase Markham wrote, On 2009-01-19 14:11:
> Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of browsers for whom
> SGC is helpful? That is to say, a list of browsers for which, if I
> connected to a site with an SGC certificate, would provide a higher
> grade of encryption than if I connected to an identical site with a
> non-SGC certificate?

You appear to be asking specifically about Microsoft's SGC, which (as you
may know) is quite different than "SSL Step Up", which is what was
implemented in Netscape and Mozilla products long long ago.

SGC was implemented in Windows' SSL DLL known as SChannel.  AFAIK, it was
used only in various versions of IE, and products that embedded IE browsers
into them. This includes the version of IE that ran on MacOS, IINM.

Do you mean to ask only about SGC? or do you mean to ask about SGC and all
similar schemes, such as SSL Step Up?

> Also, are there technical reasons why some CAs cannot issue SGC
> certificates? Does it require specially-marked roots?

There are (or were) technical reasons that were side effects of legal
reasons.  Yes, it required specially marked roots.