Paul Hoffman wrote:
[...]
That feels insufficient to me. I also disagree that there are
"practical problems of revoking a very large number of certificates".
The worst problem is that the CRL will grow; that's no big deal, it
is supposed to grow.

You *obviously* never had to handle this CRL :
http://onsitecrl.certplus.com/DIRECTIONGENERALEDESIMPOTSDIRECTIONGENERALEDESIMPOTSUSAGER/LatestCRL

Java programs just can't take it up. And J2EE is by far the most popular application server architecture nowadays. 64 bits J2EE with an enterprise level stability is not a reality today.

And just count how many 3% of the certs Verisign issued under it's main CA makes.

PS : Yes, it's outdated, they did a "reset" of the CA architecture, generated new roots, and I think the new one is not yet as big. But there's no reason why it won't be some day.