Paul Hoffman wrote:
UTR #36 is not a CA guideline, it is a guideline that some CAs might
read and implement. I know of none that have.

I think part of what's going on here is a confusion between CAs and domain name registrars. IIRC there was indeed some sort of agreement among domain name registrars to implement special checking for internationalized domain names. I think we (Mozilla) made this a condition for turning on IDN support in Mozilla products for particular TLDs. However as you note I'm not aware of an agreement addressing similar measures to be taken by CAs.

Gerv Markham was pretty heavily involved in the IDN issues with domain name registrars. I've copied him on this in hopes he can add more information.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org