Udo Puetz wrote:
I think (and from googling also quite a lot of other people too) that
you should use the stores that are available on that platform.

I fully agree with that. And just keep a manual option to do otherwise for those who don't want their security component to rely on a Microsoft black box.

Including a PKCS11-CAPI conversion layer and setting this to be the default module would do the trick.

[...] it seems that the windows cert store is more robust/lax
in dealing with such things.

It does get easier when working at the OS level, also you have to concede that regression/compatibility testing has always been a strong point of Microsoft.