On 2009-11-21 10:46 PST, Ian G wrote:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> On 20/11/2009 20:57, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>> On 2009-11-19 08:24 PST, Daniel Joscak wrote:

>>> Why correct authority key identifier (AKI) can not include both the key
>>> ID and the issuer's issuer name and serial number. We have an authority
>>> that adds to its certificates such AKI and till now I thought it is a
>>> valid X.509 certificate according to RFC 5280.
>>
>> It is allowed, but it is almost always a huge mistake to do so.  CAs that
>> make this mistake typically have to abandon and completely replace their
>> entire PKI (entire tree of issued certificates) when a CA cert expires and
>> its serial number appears in the AKI of other subordinate certs.  More than
>> once I've seen entire corporate PKIs have to be replaced due to this error.
>> That's why it's a "problematic practice".
>
> I don't see it here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Problematic_Practices ?

Well, let's ask Daniel.

Daniel,
Where did you find Mozilla documentation saying that AKI should not contain
BOTH the key ID and the (issuer name, serial number) pair?

I know I've written about that in this newsgroup many times before, and
I thought it was one of the "problematic practices", but where did you
find it?