Wan-Teh Chang wrote:
Please use the official page instead:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode10

But only when a mentor can be immediately identified !

I have another idea, but I don't believe any sponsor/mentor can be found.

The S/MIME code in Thunderbird was written before an S/MIME layer was added to NSS. It's quite incomplete and broken in several respect with regard to what the NSS S/MIME layer can do. So a SoC project to convert Thunderbird so that it calls the correct S/MIME interface to create signed/encrypted messages instead of the low level pkcs#7 interfaces would be a huge step forward.