(Note that this is to: dev-tech-crypto)

Short Version: We are looking at taking a private patch for one Firefox beta
cycle in mozilla-central to export the MPI functions from FreeBL on all
platforms in our private copy of NSS. Then, we could push the next NSS 3.12
release to the week after American Thanksgiving instead of the week of American
Thanksgiving. Please let me know if you know of a reason why this wouldn't work.

Long Version: I spoke with the Sync team and we don't think there is enough
time to get the NSS J-PAKE implementation completed and reviewed and have the
Sync team redo their prototype on top of it before Fennec code freeze on
Monday. The Sync team already has a J-PAKE implementation in JavaScript that
uses JS-ctypes to call into MPI, which they have already written and tested on
Mac OS X. Somehow it worked on Mac OS X even though the MPI symbols aren't
supposed to be exported from FreeBL. So, basically the patch is just exporting
those same symbols from FreeBL on other platforms. We wouldn't expect J-PAKE to
work on any platforms that repackage Firefox to use system NSS. And, in Firefox
B9 / Fennec B4, we would switch to the NSS-based implementations and we would
back out the patch. Obviously, it is far from ideal but it seems better than
trying to rush a whole new J-PAKE system over the weekend.

Based on what the Sync team said, the patch would consist purely of these
additions to the FreeBL .def file:

mp_init
mp_clear
mp_set