Am 2012-02-19 06:00, schrieb Stephen Schultze:

> Yes, but it would also break all existing certs issued by that CA that
> are in the wild, which is one of the reasons that Mozilla has been so
> resistant to removing roots in the first place.

Why? The point was only breaking the certs signed by sub-CAs, which
probably aren't that many. Existing certs would chain up to the new cert
that is a copy of the old one only with a length constraint added (or to
one of the intermediates, which would also be added with a length
constraint). In case NSM does check the signature on installed CA certs
(which I didn't think it did), this would have to be changed or the
certs would need to be signed with a key generated just for this purpose
(which, if needed, could be certified and added).

Just to make it clear, I do support the original suggestion, this is
just an additional one.

Kind regards,
Jan

--
Please avoid sending mails, use the group instead.
If you really need to send me an e-mail, mention "FROM NG"