Vishal wrote:
> On Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:33:58 PM UTC+5, Brian Smith wrote:
> > Anders Rundgren wrote: > Anyway, I guess that Firefox OS uses NSS?
> > > Is it still is based on the idea that key access is done in the
> > > application context rather than through a service? B2G (Firefox
> > OS) does use NSS. Nothing has changed regarding the process
> > separation between Gecko and the private key material. However,
> > B2G uses a process separation model where the Gecko parent
> > (chrome) process is separated from the web content. Cheers, Brian
>
> Can someone give a detailed view if how smime works in nss ?

I don't work on S/MIME stuff. If I had to learn it, I would start by reading
the source code to cmsutils, and the header files for lib/smime.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/nss/cmd/smimetools/cmsutil.c
http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/nss/lib/smime/cmst.h
http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/nss/lib/smime/cms.h
http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/nss/lib/smime/smime.h

Then, I would search for "SMIME" in the Thunderbird source code:
https://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/search?string=SMIME&case=1&find=&findi=&filter=^[^\0]*%24&hitlimit=&tree=comm-central

Cheers,
Brian