Thanks for your reply

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:10:33 PM UTC+1, Kai Engert wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 11:36 -0700, daniemarq...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to generate a Certificate Signing Request to be later signed by
> > a CA and imported to a NSS database.
>

> > Currently Using the following commands:
>

> > certutil -R -d alias -f nssPasswordFile -s "sample-dn" -n "sample-dn" -k
> > "rsa" -g 2048 -o cert.req -a -z noiseFile
>

> I think the -n parameter is unnecessary at this point (and will get
>
> ignored), because no cert is involved yet.
>

> (If you try certutil -K immediately after the command, you'll get a
>
> private key listed without a nickname, even if you have used the -n
>
> parameter.)
>

> > Then using sslget to receive a successful response
>

> I assume with "successful response" you mean that you have downloaded a
>
> certificate issued by the CA.
>

> > and import it using:
>

> > certutil -A -s "sample-dn" -n "sample-dn" -a -d alias -f nssPasswordFile -t
> > ",,"
>

> Did this command work without error message?
>

> I assume you used something like
>
>   cat retrieved-certificate-file | certutil -A ....

Daniel: Yes, you assume correctly

> It seems wrong to use the -s argument in this scenario. The subject name
>
> should be taken from the certificate you import. I suspect that certutil
>
> will silently ignore this parameter, but you might want to try without
>
> it.
>

> > The problem is when I use certutil to list all private keys. I get
> > something like:
>

> > < 9> rsa      c679865c65628623c59ab392019943ef426aa2e1   NSS Certificate
> > DB:sample-dn
>

> That seems correct.
>

> > And when I use a PKCS11Wrapper in Java I get a Private Key with the correct
> > ID but a <NULL-PTR> in the label.
>

> What is the "correct ID" that you are using to obtain the privat key? Do
>
> you use "9" or do you use "sample-dn"?

I am trying to access by the "sample-dn"

> What's the exact API that you use to obtain the private key?

Daniel: I am using the iaik PKCS11Wrapper with the libsoftoken(something like
this)

> What's the exact attribute, of which interface, that contains the NULL
>
> label?

Daniel: It's the label of a private key retrieved from the 2nd Slot
(Certificade DB)

> If I understand correctly, you are successfully able to obtain the
>
> private key and use it, your only problem is that it has an empty label?
>
> Is that only a cosmetic issue, or does it cause problems for you?

Daniel: I hadn't tried to use the private key since I haven't been able to get
it by the subject name. It's not a cosmetic issue because I only store the
sample-dn

> > Note: When I use pk12util I can successfully export and then import in the
> > firefox nss database and appears good.
>

> Which confirms that your earlier certificate had worked.

Daniel: Yes but what is the main reason that in the original NSS database the
key as the alias "NSS Certificate DB:sample-dn" but the imported NSS database
has the alias "sample-dn"?

> You said you are using "PKCS11Wrapper in Java", do you refer to a Java
>
> application that accesses your NSS database directly - or do you refer
>
> to an applet downloaded from a website that you expect to be able to
>
> access the private key?

Daniel: I access It directly using the IAIK PKCS11Wrapper

> Kai

Thanks

Daniel