If you take a look at the source code for

org.mozilla.jss.provider.java.security.JSSSignatureSpi

you can see how does JSS use private key for signing, basically:

        CryptoToken owningToken = privKeyByCert.getOwningToken();
        Signature signatureContext =
owningToken.getSignatureContext(SignatureAlgorithm.RSASignatureWithSHA1Digest);
        signatureContext.initSign(privKeyByCert);
        byte[] clearText =  "tosign".getBytes();
        signatureContext.update(clearText);
        byte[] signedBytes = signatureContext.sign();