On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Ludovic Hirlimann
<ludovic+n...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK NSS still contains code for SSL2 , but no product uses it. SSL2
> has been turned off at least 2 years ago. By removing SSL2 code we get :
>
>         Smaller librarie
>         faster compile time + test time
>
> What do you guys think ?

Hi Ludovic,

I do think it is time to remove SSL 2.0 support from libssl. The size
of libssl won't be much different and it won't compile much faster.
However, removing SSL 2.0 code from libssl will enable us to make the
code much easier to understand in ways that I am 100% sure will
positively impact the security of our SSL3/TLS code. So, I propose
that libssl remove SSL 2.0 support in NSS 3.16. I will be happy to
write the patch for it; I actually have it partially done already.

I can think of at least one serious bug in libssl that likely would
have been avoided if not for the additional complexity of needing to
deal with SSL 2.0. Plus, not having to deal with the SSL 2.0 code will
definitely enable us to improve the SSL3/TLS code easier in the
future. I can think of multiple times where the need to deal with the
SSL 2.0 code has slowed down the implementation of improvements to the
newer protocols. This is an unreasonable cost for us to have to incur
for a feature that we know nobody should be using.

When the NSS team discussed this topic previously, we had agreed that
we wouldn't remove the SSL 2.0 code before TLS 1.2 was implemented, so
that Red Hat could have a version of NSS with both SSL 2.0 and TLS 1.2
for their long-term release. Now TLS 1.2 is implemented and we should
move forward with the removal.

I think it is likely that some vendors of NSS-based products with very
conservative backward-compatibility guarantees, like Oracle and maybe
Red Hat, may need to continue supporting SSL 2.0 in their products due
to promises that they've made. If so, either we should create a branch
for these organizations to maintain, or we should create a branch of
libssl without SSL 2.0. I am OK with doing things either way, though I
prefer to have the NSS trunk be the SSL-2.0-less branch that Mozilla
contributes to.

Cheers,
Brian