On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Jeff Hodges <j...@somethingsimilar.com> wrote:
>   /* New non-experimental openly spec'ed versions of those cipher suites. */
>   #define SSL_RSA_FIPS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA 0xfeff
>   #define SSL_RSA_FIPS_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA       0xfefe
>
> Does anyone know what spec this cipher suite came from? And, perhaps, why
> it's still a good idea to be in the client hello? This last question I ask
> very gently and out of curiosity.

See
http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/ssl/fips-ssl-ciphersuites.html

Based on reading that, these cipher suites seem to be be a way to
backport the TLS 1.0 PRF to SSL 3.0 after NIST decided that the SSL
3.0 PRF was unacceptable, back when TLS 1.0 was still new and shiny. I
agree it makes sense to remove it from Firefox's ClientHello and we
already have plans for that. See
https://briansmith.org/browser-ciphersuites-01.html.

Cheers,
Brian
--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)