As I understand it, certificates in NSS are considered the same if they
have the same serial number and issuer. When importing a certificate,
NSS checks if it already has a certificate with the same serial number
and issuer. If it does but they're not actually identical (e.g. if they
have different validity dates), it will return an error.

One thing you could do is delete the old certificate first using
nsIX509CertDB.deleteCertificate (
https://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/security/manager/ssl/public/nsIX509CertDB.idl#180
)

Or, depending on how these certificates are used, it might be fine to
have the expired one in the database along with the new one, as long as
the new one is selected over the old one for whatever you're doing with it.

Cheers,
David