Hi,

I'm trying to do various FIPS tests for libreswan. Our testing system
using KVM is a little tricky to selectively boot with fips=1, so I
did some scripting to get everything into faked FIPS mode.

It basically comes down to first running a script that:

- creates /etc/system-fips
- disable selinux (for next step)
- fake /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled by
  echo "1" > /tmp/fips_enabled
  mount --bind /tmp/fips_enabled /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled
- running modutil:
  /usr/bin/modutil -dbdir /etc/ipsec.d -fips true -force
  /usr/bin/modutil -dbdir /etc/ipsec.d -chkfips true
  (which DOES output: (FIPS mode enabled.")
- starting libreswan via systemctl start ipsec.service

libreswan, which has its own checks for /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled
and /etc/system-fips confirms it is in FIPS mode.

But somehow, the NSS library is still not in FIPS mode. I suspect the
dance through systemd might cause this? Do some environment variables
get set and lost? Is there a way to export some environment variables
to force NSS harder?

Paul