Okay, I found the solution myself.

It appears that NSS/pk12util is going to add the "PrivateTokenDescription" prefix if (and only if!) there happens to be a ":" character in the certificate's friendly name.

And this was the case with our certificates for a certain reason. Of course we couldn't know this has such effect and we will remove it in the future.

As soon as the ":" is removed from the certificate's friendly name, there no longer is a locale-specific prefix in the certificate name at all - best solution of all for our purposes.

(If I only knew this earlier, it could have saved many hours)

Regards.

BTW: The problem with the "wrong" certificate names still persists...