Hi,

On Thu, 26 May 2016 11:27:04 +0200
Franziskus Kiefer <fkie...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> we intend to drop support for standalone ecl builds in NSS [1]. Before
> doing this we'd like to get feedback if anyone's still doing this.
>
> So if you're still building ecl, please let us know.

I recently used the ecl standalone build to fuzz elliptic curve
implementations. While this didn't find bugs in nss, it found a couple
in another TLS implementation (Nettle) [1].

The fuzzing code is here:
https://github.com/hannob/bignum-fuzz/blob/master/point-fuzz.c

As far as I can see the low level elliptic curve calculation functions
aren't exposed as public functions in NSS itself. Therefore removing the
possibility to build libecl would make it significantly harder to test
the underlying functionality. Therefore I'd strongly oppose removing it
unless there is any alternative for testing that's equally simple and
that I'm not aware of.

[1]
https://blog.fuzzing-project.org/38-Miscomputations-of-elliptic-curve-scalar-multiplications-in-Nettle.html

--