I'm trying to develop some tests for confirming a TLS server honors
the Extended Master Secret extension (RFC 7627).

I've stood up a simple selfserv server:

  /usr/lib/nss/selfserv -v -d /path/to/my/certdb/ -n MyCert -p 8000 -V
tls1.0:tls1.2

But, when I run a test of that with OpenSSL's s_client:

  openssl s_client -connect 10.200.192.68:8000

I get the diagnostic 'Extended master secret: no'.

Via Wireshark, I can confirm that s_client does include the extension
in the Client Hello, but I don't see it in the Server Hello.

I'm using mozilla-nss-tools-3.45-58.31.1.x86_64 under SLES 12 SP3.

I acknowledge that I may be misinterpreting Wireshark, as I can find no
example captures on the net of a Server Hello providing the extension.

Is this an appropriate mechanism for testing for this feature?

--
Brian Reichert                          <reich...@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large