On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 3:00:21 PM UTC-7, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In a script, I need to know what the “best” certificate is in the NSS
> database for a given host.
>
> The “best” certificate is
> - A valid certificate by all the usual definitions of valid; and
> - Matches the hostname provided either by using the subject or the
> subjectAltName (with optional wildcards); and
> - (to break ties) Has the longest validity.
>
> From what I can see certutil can’t do this. Is there an alternative tool I
> should be using?
>
> If no tool exists, is there a corresponding API call in the NSS API that will
> return a certificate (or certificates) as per the definition above? If so I
> can put together a patch.
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> —

Hi Graham,

As you saw, there's no good mechanism for this via certutil. Honestly, the
logic for the legacy verifier that would accomplish this is somewhat lacking,
as well.

There's a meta-bug for someday reworking the tools to use mozilla::pkix, which
would accomplish what you're looking for, Bug 1648172. The significant lift
here though would be reworking the relevant tool to compile in C++, needed for
mozilla::pkix.

If you're interested in contributing that rework, we'd love to work with you on
it. But nevertheless, mozilla::pkix. in the lib/mozpkix dir, is the right way
to approach this problem.

Cheers,
J.C.