Hi,

Eli Friedman wrote:
Well, I'd say try it out on your documents and see if
you like the results.  If you want to keep the
backgrounds, there's an option in the page setup to do
that. Stylesheets tagged with media "screen" won't be
I've tested it a little bit -- looks to be suitable in general for my tasks, but printing engine doesn't support some eye-candy CSS features like opacity property, and that's very pity.

You should be able to change the resolution of the
output by changing the transform of the canvas.  Take
a look at
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2005/05/rendering_web_p.html
for a code example.
Thanks for a link, I'll have a look at this. However, as far as I understand, this needs X and is not suitable very good for scripting.

But I'll have to try this. I really like these CSS features which are not supported by the printing engine.

Patrick,
I have written a XPI command line module that it lets you to print a page to
a postscript file and convert it to PDF using ps2pdf.
Despite the issues with printing engine, it sounds cool. I'd like to try such XPI -- is it possible?

I've investigated the topic a little bit -- it looks that there's no free CSS2PDF or CSS2Image render engines. The only one I found is dompdf [1], but it's CSS support is very week. Another one is Prince, but it's proprietary. So it seems that some Gecko-based render engine is really needed -- it could open a way for CSS to become popular for publishing. And I think we need such a tool, because there's not so much good FOSS publishing software at all (yes, I like (La)TeX too, but it's rather special and much more complicated than CSS).

 1. http://www.digitaljunkies.ca/dompdf/index.php

--
With best regards,
Ilya V. Schurov.