I think probably it's 23 because 2+3=5. I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look.
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM, John Vines <[email protected]> wrote: > For a similar fun read, check out reasoning for the implementation of > String's hashCode() > > > On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Mike Drob <[email protected]> wrote: > > > At a guess, it looks like a small prime intended to decrease the amount > of > > atomic operations. > > > > Completely unrelated, but this made me think of Feynman and the > mysterious > > number 137. > > > > > > On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM, David Medinets <[email protected] > > >wrote: > > > > > At the risk of having overlooked something obvious, I was curious about > > the > > > occurrence of 23 in the StatsIterator code: > > > > > > public void next() throws IOException { > > > super.next(); > > > numRead++; > > > > > > if (numRead % 23 == 0) { > > > readCounter.addAndGet(numRead); > > > numRead = 0; > > > } > > > } > > > > > > I'm also wondering about the StatsIterator in general. The member > > variables > > > are all private. They are incremented but never used. > > > > > > > > > -- > Cheers > ~John >
