+1 for keeping a fast and easy (and well documented) mechanism for
debugging iterators. Perhaps the SortedMapiterator is the solution..but the
key words here are 'well documented'

-1 for continuing support a half implemented mock framework that we have to
maintain. It makes code maintenance very hard when you couldnt, for
instance in the 1.3 series, even create a MockBatchDeleter. As Chris
stated, I agree that using the mock in the past had users walking the line
too closely between unit and integration tests. With the mock, I could
write a bunch of fully valid tests against an iterator without the ability
to verify that compactions didn't negatively affect my results. Except for
being fast, the MAC mostly eliminates the need to use the mock for that
kind of test at all while it makes the tests more valid to an actual
runtime environment.

+1 for mocking framework to be used in relevant unit tests. There are times
when a quick and dirty mock is immensely useful and MAC is slow and way
overkill for those tasks. Perhaps it would be worth a ticket to investigate
replacing the current usages of mockAccumulo (I haven't looked in awhile)
with said mocking framework.