From: John Vines [mailto:vi...@apache.org]
Sent:Saturday, December 06, 2014 1:19 PM
To: Accumulo Dev List
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Semantic Versioning

I think there's an issue with this course of discussion because we're
discussion issues of our current 1.x release style while also discussion
Semver, both of which are incongruent with one another. Perhaps we need to
segregate adopting semver for 2.0.0 (which is waht I assumed), vs. adopting
semver for our next release vs. adopting semver for some release after the next
but before 2.0.0?

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM,<dlmar...@comcast.net>  wrote:

>  " This basically represents a goal to not to add new APIs without
>  bumping the minor release."
>
>    I didn't think that with semver you could change the API in a patch
>  release. An API change, if backwards compatible, requires a new MINOR
>  release. Am I reading 6, 7, 8 and in the specification incorrectly? I
>  might need an example.

Yeah, you're right, Dave. Just re-read this myself. There is no concern of how APIs are changed in a patch/bugfix release because they are disallowed by definition.

The only way I would see this relevant is if we didn't adopt semver for this awkward [1.7.0,2.0.0) version range.