Ick, that's kind of a pain. We should probably have some kind of utility to compute this for you.

You'd likely want to treat the row as a byte[] (instead of thinking in terms of characters) and decrement the last byte in the array. We have a static method on Range.followingPrefix(Text) which goes the opposite way. You could try to take that approach, while we (hopefully) consider adding a Range.previousRow(Text) or something.

z11373 wrote:
Thanks William! This is indeed what I was looking for.

Text startRow = new Text("k");
Text endRow = new Text("r");
ops.deleteRows("myTable", startRow, endRow);

 From Accumulo book, it said "When you specify start and end rows, the
deleteRows() method will remove rows that sort after but not including the
start row, and rows that sort before and including the end row."

Since it said not including the start row, what is the recommended way to
get the row before (note the row id can be number or letter)? I wonder why
it's doesn't include start row, otherwise my job would be easier.

Thanks,