Server-assigned timestamps aren't noticeably slower than user-assigned timestamps, if that's what you're referring to WRT throughput.

As for using currentTimeMillis(), probably fine, but not always.

1) NTP updates might cause currentTimeMillis() to change in reverse
2) You need to make sure the delete and update always come from the same host (otherwise two hosts might have different values for currentTimeMillis())

Time is hard in distributed systems.

z11373 wrote:
Thanks Josh! For better throughput, I think I'd just assign the timestamp
from my code.
Using this code, System.currentTimeMillis(); for timestamp should be ok,
right?

Thanks,