Here is a draft, munged together from the release notes for 1.6.6 and the
1.7.2 announcement.  I checked several mirrors and it seems the artifacts
have propagated.  Christopher, when you get in one of us can send this out.

Mike

-----------------

The Accumulo team is proud to announce the release of Accumulo version
1.6.6!  This release contains changes from more than 40 issues, comprised
of bug-fixes, performance improvements, build quality improvements, and
more.  Users of any previous 1.6.x release are strongly encouraged to
update
as soon as possible to benefit from the improvements with very little
concern
in change of underlying functionality.

As of this release, active development has ceased for the 1.6 release line,
so
users should consider upgrading to a newer, actively maintained version
when
they can. While the developers may release another 1.6 version to address a
severe issue, there’s a strong possibility that this will be the last 1.6
release.

This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/

The full release notes can be viewed at:
http://accumulo.apache.org/release_notes/1.6.6

The Apache Accumulo™ sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust,
scalable, high performance data storage system that features cell-based
access control and customizable server-side processing. It is based on
Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Apache
ZooKeeper, and Apache Thrift.

--
The Apache Accumulo Team