Ping Marc/Mike D.

Josh Elser wrote:
Thanks, Marc. Follow-on question(s) for you:

Do you think _any_ such approach should never be pursued by Accumulo
(reading into your other replies about doing it outside of Accumulo)?
Are the permissions that we have in place not sufficient to protect such
"metadata"?

Or, would such a feature be "OK" to you if it required some degree of
additional manual steps by the administrator? (if so, what steps do you
think make this acceptable)

In a similar vein, how do you see this broadening the scope of the
Accumulo security model in an invalid manner? e.g. Administrators should
never be able to see such information. Someone with sufficient access to
a system would already be able to bypass Accumulo's security mechanisms.
There are a number of vectors already were a sufficiently-credentialed
individual could figure out this information (and more).

Ultimately, I see Accumulo's main security tenet as "users should never
be allowed to see more data than they are authorized to see". Maybe it's
my interpretation of that or the scope of how your think the proposed
feature would function, but I'd be very interested in hearing more about
what you think.

Marc P. wrote:
My point for discussing implementation outside of accumulo is because I
think it does invalidate a core tenant