Github user milleruntime commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/292

    > This whole thing might be easier to implement with
CacheBuilder.weakValues() from Guava. Eviction seems to occur if value
disappears. I think this will do what we want, and it should automatically hide
the WeakReference stuff from us, auto-evicting stuff when the value is gone so
we never see it as present in the map. The key can be String, without the need
to do any crazy new String stuff, or early construction. It ensures a
dependency on Guava, though.

    This is the way I was leaning yesterday after reading that stackoverflow
response.  I think the issue with WeakHashMap is that they Keys are weak and
not the values. So we have to add another layer of WeakRefernce for the values,
complicating things.  In our case, it is just a cache and we really want weak
values to store the ID objects.

    I also thought of still using WeakHashMap but flipping the keys and values
- `WeakHashMap<AbstractId, String>.`  Using ID as the key so it will
automatically be weak and then I guess the canonical String as the value.  But
then the value is pretty useless.

---
with INFRA.
---