On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > tl;dr : I would prefer not to add another tarball as part of our
> "official"
>
> I am not opposed to replacing the current single tarball with client
> and server tarballs.   What I find appealing about this is if the
> client tarball has less deps.
>
> However I think a lot of thought should be put into the scripts if
> this is done.  For example the client tar and server tar should
> probably not both have accumulo commands that do different things.

Agreed on Keith's point about the scripts and it requiring some
consideration.

> > releases, but I'd be in favor of a blog instructions, script, or build
> > profile, which users could read/execute/activate to create a
> client-centric
> > package.
> >
> > I've long believed that supporting different downstream packaging
> scenarios
> > should be prioritized over upstream binary packaging. I have argued in
>
> These "downstream" packaging could be done within the Apache Accumulo
> project also.  Like accumulo-docker.  Creating other packaging
> projects within Accumulo is something to consider.

+1; When I say "downstream", it's a role, not an entity. The point is that
it's a distinct activity. accumulo-docker is a perfect example of a
"downstream packaging" project maintained by the upstream community. I find
it frustrating sometimes when supporting users that they can't tell the
difference between what is "Accumulo" and what is "this specific
packaging/configuration/deployment of Accumulo", because we don't make
those lines clear. I think we can draw these lines a bit more clearly.

> > favor of removing our current tarball entirely, while supporting efforts
>
> Apache Accumulo needs some sort of tarball that makes it easy to run
> the code on a cluster, otherwise how can we test Accumulo on a cluster
> for releases?

A binary tarball may be the best for this, but it's little more than the
jars in Maven Central and a few text files. It could be trivially replaced
with a simple script and manifest; it could also be replaced with an RPM, a
docker image, or any number of things. A tarball is just one type of
packaging for Accumulo's binaries.

In any case, I wasn't talking about removing the ability to produce a
binary tarball from source. Only removing it from our release artifacts and
downloads. It is not a popular opinion, but I still think it's reasonable,
with both pros and cons.

> > enable downstream packaging by modularizing the server code, supporting a
> > client-API jar (future work), and decoupling code from launch scripts. I
> > think we should continue to do these kinds of improvements to support
> > different packaging scenarios downstream, but I'd prefer to avoid
> > additional "official" binary releases.
>
> I agree, I think if the Accumulo Java code made less assumptions about
> its runtime env it would result in code that is easier to maintain and
> package for different environments.
>
> In Fluo we have recently done a lot of work in order to support
> Docker, Mesos, and Kubernetes.  This work has really cleaned up the
> core Fluo code making it easier to run in any environment.
>
> I suspect pulling the Accumuo tar ball into a separate git repo and
> out of the main repo may help highlight some of the assumptions
> Accumulo Java code makes about the environment.

This is basically what the assemble module is now. It's why I moved the bin
and conf directories into it, and have made its dependencies optional so
they wouldn't be resolved transitively, and why I made the assembly plugin
gather up the libs instead of the dependency plugin which used to drop them
in a lib directory at the root of the source checkout. This module is the
"downstream packaging" for the current "all-in-one" binary tarball package.

> I think these clean up issues are related to what Josh is suggesting,
> but are not prerequisites.  So it makes sense to discuss them at this
> point, but I don't think they should block work on two tarballs if
> that seems like a good idea.

Agreed. That discussion can be deferred. Much depends on how it is to be
split up.