Okay, so there doesn't seem to be any objection to using project
boards for fixVersion tracking.
Since I've already created project boards for each of the versions
we're tracking with labels, and added all the issues to those boards
that had the corresponding label, the only thing left to do is remove
the (now useless) labels, and update the website/docs. I'll go ahead
and do that.