(Forking this thread, as it's a distinct topic)

I've thought about it. The idea has driven me to try to reduce our use
of Hadoop-specific code, and to isolate Hadoop-specific stuff behind
some abstraction, wherever possible. Though, I'll admit, we're nowhere
close to where we'd want to be to be fully decoupled from Hadoop.

I've also been looking a lot at our VolumeManager code lately, to try
to improve it a bit, and to create better abstractions for Volumes,
that could aid future work in this area.

But, I haven't directly been working on new FileSystem API
abstraction... just trying to lay some groundwork for that possibility
in future.

It'd be nice to get to a point where we have a Hadoop-specific
implementation isolated to a jar that can be swapped out at runtime
for other file system implementations, as needed. I see that as a
somewhat long-way off.