The NMS API has some good support for automatically serializing C# objects
into XML format and back out into objects.  You can refer to the
XmlMessageTest.cs unit test in the Apache.NMS project for some sample code
on how to go about this.

If you are using the .NET 3.5 assemblies (or later version, or Mono), then
there are several extension methods that make the syntax very nice.  The
XmlMessageTest.cs file shows two examples -- one using extension methods
(the preferred way), and one without, for .NET 2.0 and earlier.

I use these functions heavily to pass objects back and forth between C# and
Java.