Github user michaelandrepearce commented on the issue:

    Have added a test case to ensure perf is at least double when many message,
we expect it to be more as it should no longer block at all and it is, but was
a good way to test its giving the improvement expected, e.g. the prior to the
change or reverting the test fails as the perf is equal between the two states.

    Here is a local output of the improvement in consume time of 10,000 when we
make acknowledge non-blocking.

    [main] 06:13:57,987 INFO  [org.apache.activemq.artemis.jms.tests]
BlockOnAcknowledge=false MessageCount=10000 TimeToConsume=462980029

    [main] 06:13:57,987 INFO  [org.apache.activemq.artemis.jms.tests]
BlockOnAcknowledge=true MessageCount=10000 TimeToConsume=38748489101

---
with INFRA.
---