Github user jostbg commented on the issue:

    @michaelandrepearce The documentation states that a # matches zero or more
words. It doesn't say anything about different behavior of # depending on its
location in the expression. The current implementation however does not behave
according the documentation, so either the documentation is wrong or the
implementation has a bug. I argue that it is a bug and I doubt any user
actually expects that # in the middle of an expression behaves like a
one-or-more-words wildcard. Esp. after reading the docs. This is a very
surprising behavior.

    While I agree that having regular expressions would be nice. It should be
an optional matching style as this can impact performance.

---