I don't expect username and password to affect inactivity timeouts.

Inactivity timeouts should only occur when the TCP connection between the
client and broker is somehow excessively slow or stuck (e.g. if packets are
not crossing the network properly).

Versions of the client and server should not be an issue, although there
_have_ been cases where different versions have caused problems.

Note that version 5.5.2 of the broker is very, very old.  Many bugs have
been fixed since then.

One thing to look at here is packet flow between the client and server.
WireShark or tcpdump could be very helpful here.

Hope this helps.

Art