I think it is reasonable to remove older docs, both to control the
size of the site content and since people should be using the more
recent things already.

For Qpid the main docs page links to the current docs, and links to
the 'past releases' page where each release page then has that
versions docs. We typically keep the last 2-3 years of the release
specific pages/download links/docs etc available on the site.
Infrequently we then trim the oldest ones out to get back nearer the 2
years. Rinse and repeat. Link to the archive for anything not on the
site.