It seems like we have consensus on Primary/Backup and Active/Passive as per
Justin's suggestion:
Nouns: Primary/Backup
Adjectives: Active/Passive

Does this need a formal vote since I didn't get the format right or is this
enough consensus that we can move forward with these terms?

Thanks,
Lucas

On 2022-05-06, 9:20 PM, "Michael André Pearce"
<michael.andre.pea...@me.com.INVALID> wrote:

    CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the
content is safe.

    My understanding was previous discuss thread was that we leant for for
Primary/Backup

    What I was suggesting as it seemed it wasn’t closed out and it continues to
rumble on was a binary vote per Apache voting on that as the proposal to end
and close it out formally.

    As this is multiple choice this is not a vote thread, for it to be a vote
it needs to be a proposal with a vote of +1/0/-1 on the proposal, not multi
choice. Afaik.

    For the record I stand with the consensus from the previous discussion as
no new arguments are made here.

    As such I would in poll

    [+1] primary/backup
    [-1] Leader/Follower

    Sent from my iPad

    > On 6 May 2022, at 07:26, Tetreault, Lucas <tetlu...@amazon.com.invalid>
wrote:

    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I don’t know if I’m actually allowed to call for a vote given I’m not a
committer/PMC member but Michael André Pearce made it clear on Slack that this
was the only way to move this discussion forward and come to a final conclusion
on the issue so here goes nothing. If I’m not supposed to call for a vote,
perhaps someone could “sponsor” this request :)

    > A tweet [1] from a few days ago raised the issue of non-inclusive
terminology in the AWS docs related to ActiveMQ [2] and suggested that we
should replace “masterslave” with a more inclusive name for the network
connector transport. Replacing master/slave nomenclature in ActiveMQ was raised
as a Jira issue in July 2020 [3] and again on the mailing list in November 2020
[7]. There was some initial work to rename the git branch from master to main,
some attempts at making some changes to the code
(https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/679,
https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/714,
https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/788) and Matt Pavlovich drafted a
thorough proposal on the mailing list [6], however we have not been able to
come to an agreement on nomenclature so these efforts seem to have stalled out.

    > If we are able to come to an agreement on nomenclature, we can move
forward with removing more non-inclusive terminology on the website (I will
follow up with some PRs to the website), in discussions with the community and
of course in the codebase. This will remove barriers to adoption and make
ActiveMQ a more approachable and inclusive project for everyone! Other Apache
projects such as Solr and Kafka have moved from master/slave to
leader/follower. Leader/follower is also recommended by the IETF [4] and
inclusivenaming.org [5] which is supported by companies such as Cisco, Intel,
and RedHat. At AWS, we have used active/standby to describe HA deployments,
however from previous discussions it's clear that active/standby is not a
viable option for this community since 'active' can be used to describe so many
things. If we can agree on leader/follower or some alternate we would follow
the community's preference and adopt leader/follower to better serve our
ActiveMQ users.

    > From all the previous discussions, I believe we have two options to
replace master/slave. Artemis will need to layer on a status (e.g.:
active/standby) but I think we can move forward on this vote without deciding
what those terms should be assuming people agree these options will support
having a status layered on top.

    > Please submit your +1/-1 vote on the following terms and please provide
specific comments/alternatives if you’re -1 for both options.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazon-mq/latest/developer-guide/amazon-mq-creating-configuring-network-of-brokers.html#creating-configuring-network-of-brokers-configure-network-connectors