> I agree with the overhead but is it really an issue

Of course it is an issue (depending on how much you embedd), at least it vast disk, cpu, ram and network resources

> AMQ broker is a black box in Karaf/OSGi

So no configuration? No plugins? No management possible? Client only ever use plain JMS standard API?

> nobody is doing Spring update or Jetty update in ActiveMQ without
> upgrading the whole ActiveMQ

Not in ActiveMQ but in OSGi... so if you require Spring version 9.3 or later and Spring releases 9.3.1 I can upgrade the Spring bundles and I'm done, with uber-jar/bundle/war/... I need to ask for a new ActiveMQ release and then get additional delay even if it would be released fast...

> The big advantage is to avoid OSGi coupling at build time
> for developers

Why should a developer ever be "coupled" to OSGi at build time and why should this change that there is one or multiple bundles? And even for ActiveMQ build itself you can always just generate the OSGi metadata separately and don't need to think about OSGi at all.

As Karaf can even wrap bundles dynamically you even don't need OSGi metadata at all for third party libs you depend on.