I've been doing some playing on this over time since raising the idea
for discussion, trying out some stuff out on my github repos/fork and
seeing how things could work. I think things are now in a state where
further work could instead continue in such a new
activemq-artemis-examples repo. I'll look to create that soon.

https://github.com/gemmellr/activemq-artemis-examples has some initial
work on a standalone examples build, with CI job for handling release
+ dev artemis versions on respective branches, and inputs to trigger
manual CI runs on the development branch with any specified artemis
repo+branch (e.g for testing your changes from your respective
examples + artemis repo forks). The main branch is set up for the
current 2.31.2 release, with the development branch set up for
2.32.0-SNAPSHOT and already incorporating the couple of actual
examples changes made in the artemis repo since 2.31.2 was released.

https://github.com/gemmellr/activemq-artemis/tree/examples-independent
is a branch on my fork that has some changes on removing the examples
from the main artemis repo, and updating the existing CI job checks to
use the new examples repo instead (well, my examples repo playground
above, currently), or again any specified examples repo+branch on a
manual triggered run for pre-testing with changes in your respective
forks.

Robbie