I was going to vote positively, but after seeing the earlier mails and
trying things out further I see the same issue as Matt has reported.

The quotes added on this line:
https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/6bae734088d70b8e1a72ab6f3a763199d38af306/assembly/src/release/bin/activemq#L174
in https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/1162 breaks loading of the
setenv config (and presumably the earlier config paths if they were
present).

With the quotes in place, I edited the setenv file to also set a
custom system property, and observed that it wasnt applied due to the
setenv file not being used and the "INFO: Using default configuration"
message Matt referenced below being printed.

Removing the quotes on that line, the setenv config was actually found
and used (and my custom property in it was then set on the JVM):
INFO: Loading '/path/to/6.1.0-rc1/apache-activemq-6.1.0//bin/setenv'

(I wasnt using a dir with spaces)

Robbie