Hi Shameera,

Using python is a radical approach for workflow I think. But I believe this
is a very beautiful and new approach.Here is a possible scenario for
implementation and running using a Python based library.

The Python library facilitates the creation of Applications and submitting
them to Airavata for execution. The underlying functionality is exactly
similar to what Java clients provides.The only difference is that, Python
library should have a more fluent API than Java for easy creation of
workflows. We can generate the Python clients that talk to Airavata server
using Thrift.

Here is an example off the top of my head to a Python script created by
user for a Workflow. This is a very crude example and we need to come up
with a much better API if we are going to go along this path. First we need
to write a Python script that can execute a workflow using Airavata.

import airavata

host = Host("localhost", ....)
app1 = Application(host, ....)
app2 = Application(host, ....)

# we will connect these applications as a workflow using some topology
builder or other constructs

wb = WorkFlowBuilder()
wb.setApp("name1", app1)
# you can do a simple output transformation here etc

# connects the input of app1 to app2 etc
wb.setApp("name2", app2).connectInput("name1")

wb.submit()

Now we can load this Python script from XBaya. When XBaya loads this script
the Python script can output an XML configuration of the topology, XBaya
can render. There are other ways like directly executing the Python script
from command line and connecting XBaya indirectly as well. Now you can run
the workflow from XBaya. Running the Workflow means just executing the
Python script.

XBaya gets the notifications through messaging and update the UI
accordingly.

The users need to write the Python script by hand. XBaya cannot create the
script. Because workflow language is an actual python program the benefits
are immense. For example user can do workflow steering in the workflow
itself by subscribing to messages from Airavata.

Thanks,
Supun..

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <
shameerai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Supun,
>
> I meant to say JS is a well-known client side scripting language i have
> messed scripting part. Even we use Python, ultimately we should convert
> this to java model in server side, somehow we need to serialized python
> representation to the language which java can parse and generate that
> model. In this case we need to parse python script in java isn't it? I am
> not exactly clear how you suggesting to use python here. More details on
> how end system works if we use Python would be great help to clearly
> understand your points.
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 1:00 AM, Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Have you guys considered using JCC [1] as a means
> > to expose the workflow API currently in Java as a
> > Python API?
> >
> > We are exploring its use in OODT, and we have already
> > created a Tika [2] JCC-based python API.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Chris
> >
> > [1] http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/
> > [2] http://github.com/chrismattmann/tika-python/