Hi Folks,

Since Airavata is a multi server platform with lots of components and
configurations, it is quite challenging for a new developer to get started
with the code base and setup a running Airavata deployment locally. To
address that, we came up with a standalone deployment guide [1] which
utilizes a VirtualBox VM and Ansible scripts to setup a deployment locally.
Even though this fulfilled the requirements for some extent, we found that
the amount of configuration was still little bit overwhelming and software
update process was not realtime as binaries were deployed in a VM.

Due to above mentioned issues, we have explored possible alternatives for
VM based deployment and reduce the setup time with less or no
configurations. As a solution, we came up with a new module [2] for
Airavata which can start all the Airavata and all other supportive
components within the IDE. This module mainly contains 2 parts. Java code
to start Airavata server components and docker composer configuration to
load rest of the supportive components as docker containers such as
Database, Zookeeper, Keycloak, Kafka, RabbitMQ and a custom SSHD server.

In addition to that, it contains instructions on how to start and connect
our new user portal (Django portal) and old portal (PGA) to Airavata so
that you can straightaway tryout Airavata with less trouble. Aiaravata
database comes with pre loaded data which contains a simple Echo
application and one of our test JestStream cluster details. So you do not
need to worry about those configurations as well.

To guide you more, I have created a short screencast [3] that covers main
steps mentioned in the Readme [4] file. However you have to thoroughly
follow each and every step mentioned in the Readme file in order to make
everything work without any issue.

Since this is a new implementation with very limited amount of testing, it
is expected for you to come up with various issues in the process and
please let us know about them so that we can improve this further. Or if
you can directly contribute, it is highly appreciated.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dFhajiYlPtNymIKbMvCXeLivLHujLjvE107QyUDEgdA/edit?usp=sharing
[2] https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/develop/modules/ide-integration
[3] https://youtu.be/nMlrYTqAKd0