Hey-
   The consensus approval link is referring to votes (e.g. releases,
new committers, new PMCers, etc) rather than code changes.  A single
+1 is standard for code changes, as Chris describes.  However,
projects are welcome to provide more fine-grained requirements as
well.  For example, Hadoop is RTC (Review-then-commit) but also
features to be developed in branches that run on CTR
(Commit-then-review).  Such a branch can only be merged back to master
with three binding +1s, as a counterweight to the possibility of
un-reviewed changes appearing.

  Historically, ASF operated on a CTR model.  However, Hadoop and the
myriad projects that flowed from it, adopted RTC.  I'm not aware of
any big-data/Hadoop/Kafka projects that currently use CTR.  (This
comment's not an endorsement of either approach, just an observation)

   Additionally, the community can chose any time to change its
approach (via a vote).
-Jakob