My understanding from the latest python documentation is that
'.format' supersedes the use of '%'. Therefore, it seemed a little
strange that the Landscape configuration was advising the use of '%',

I think the thing here is that the "%" that the warning is talking about is *not* the same operator that has been superseded by format, although it was very likely chosen to look similar, which is confusing.

The warning is not telling the user to go back from:"some message with a param {}".format(param))

to"some message with a param %s" % (param))

but to a different argument passing style:"some message with a param %s", param)

Having said that, I'd also be up for disabling this warning if it's perceived as more of a nuisance that a useful hint.