depends_on_past is looking at previous task instance which sounds the same
as "latestonly" but the difference becomes apparent if you look at this
example.

Let's say you have a dag, scheduled to run every day and it has been
failing for the past 3 days. The whole purpose of that dag is to populate
snapshot table or do a daily backup.  If you use depends on past, you would
have to rerun all missed runs or mark them as successful eventually doing
useless work (3 daily snapshots or backups for the same data).

LatestOnly allows you to bypass missed runs and just do it once for most
recent instance.

Another difference, depends on past is tricky if you use BranchOperator
because some branches may not run one day and run another - it will really
mess up your logic.