Hi Fokko, thanks for your response, really appreciate it!

Basically in my case I have two Spark SQL queries:

1) the first query does INSERT OVERWRITE to a partition and may take a
while for a while
2) then I run a second query right after it to get count of rows of that
partition.
3) I need to pass that count back to airflow dag and this count will be
used by the next task in the DAG to make a decision if this partition
should be safely exchanged (using ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE PARTITION) with a
production table partition.

So I need somehow to get that count of rows. My initial though was to parse
the log and extract that count but looks like even if i do regex it does
not quite work - spark sql writes query output to stdout which airflow
spark sql hook does not capture right now.

if you can suggest a better solution for me it would be great!

Also initially I wanted to count rows and then do ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE
PARTITION in the same pyspark job but I found out that spark does not
support this statement yet and I have to use Hive.